Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Top Ten Anime Movies For Children.


 
 
These are the movies I would recommend to just about any family with children.  The only two 
you want to take a look beforehand at is Princess Mononoke and Metropolis because they are
 PG-13.  But the rest range from G to PG and I would have no problem showing my kids no
 matter what age they were.


1. Girl who leapt through time.
Just a very well told movie and a movie with a strong theme.  In my mind it is G rated and the 
worst thing in the movie is a boy teased another boy about jacking off.  It is not complicated, 
not too dark (unless you start to add stuff to your mind), fun music, and really fleshed out 
relationships.
 
 
 2. Spirited away.
My favorite Miyazaki film.  This takes story telling to a completely new level.  It is fantasy and 
more like the dream of a young girl.  But this movie has captivated me in a whole different way 
than other fantasies.  This story is not obvious and you have to keep your eyes open for every 
turn.  I love this movie.


3. Princess Mononoke.
Might be too much of very young children.  An arm gets shot off, boars die, humans die. 
Definitely worth of a PG-13 rating.  But it is on this list because this generation is used to this 
sort of thing (they don't see it as real life).  But I still waited until my child was in kindergarten 
before they saw it.  The overall message of “lets preserve Earth” is strong and you get to know 
the characters in depth (which does not happen often in animation in general.


4. Castle in the Sky.
My third favorite movie from Miyazaki.  It is a non-stop action movie that does not get dull. 
Like the matrix, this is one movie I can watch any time.  The animation is not there which is 
why it only gets up to the 4th spot.  But the story and action that keeps it at the top of my lists. 
It is exciting, entertaining,engaging, just a lot of fun.  And I mean FUN.


5. Nausica.
My forth favorite movie from Miyazaki.  While it is older, the story is a great story.  Totally 
kid friendly and exciting.  But may frighten very young children, but it was never an issue 
with either of my children.  I would also have no problem showing this to any child that 
would come to my house.


6. Metropolis.
I love this film because they address the inequalities of a general society.  And the only 
real violence in the film is either not seen or it is robots being ravaged.  Pretty safe but 
conservatives parents should preview this film.


7. Ponyo.
A good children's movie from Miyazaki that I really like.  It is non-violent and teaches a 
strong message.  The voice talent in this film is outstanding.  The story is entertaining but 
not perfect.  They really could have don't more to engage the older audience.


8. Howl's moving castle.
Might be a little too much for very young children.  But those older than 6 can appreciate, as 
can an adult.  Good movie with a very interesting theme.  A little dark in parts but absolutely 
essential in getting the meaning across.  The story is well written and entertaining.  And just 
enough darkness to please the sadistic parent.


9. The Cat Returns.
A really fun and beautiful movie.  It is totally geared for kids and parents won't mind watching 
it (or hearing it over and over again).  It is fantasy and takes full advantage of the world that only 
animation can create..


10. Kiki's delivery service.
A cute movie that delivers.  While the animation is not as good as other Anime, it is a very 
straight forward movie that follows the 3 act process.  Just don't expect your frontal lobes to 
be wowed.  





No comments:

Post a Comment